Thursday 16 April 2009

Aussies post.......

Sorry rest of the world but I am watching a show on tv...........it counts down the top 20 events on many different topics and tonight is Aussie parties and pastimes (iconic events)............

a trip down memory lane for me.........

.............on the bottom of the list at no.20 was B&S (Bachelor and Spinster) balls............well as a young adult I can tell you this was no 1 for me...........don't think I should tell you how many I went to in a few years but it was heaps of fun.................and the footage they showed was from about my time.......just had to look at the dresses and the hairstyles...........lol.........the guys in black suits never change....

then at no 18 was cracker night..........well before I started going to B&S's when I was a kid this was the best night of the year...........until they were banned..............we always used to build a bonfire during the day and get to stay up late.......still love a good bonfire and we can still get "sparklers" the kids love it............always a gathering of friends

currently we are up to no. 10 and lots of them involve lots of alcohol and some good partying........

No 9 is Carols by Candlelight............something I would love to do but as I don't go away at Christmas might have a problem there unless I moved house.

No 7 Sydney to Surf 14 km fun run............now who ever said running was fun...............won't be doing that one.....

A panel of celebrities comment on all the nominations.............

Katriona Rowntree is a party animal as I think she has nearly been to all the big parties...........Peter Fitzsimon always sits on his lounge which has a quilt hanging on the back of it............

No 2 is New Years Eve ...................now I would love to be in Sydney at this but I could just not cope with the crowds so I would have to find a friend with a home that has amazing harbour views and watch from their place............unfortunately I don't have any of those type of friends.............

No 1 Anzac Day..............no need to say anymore..............it is also the only day in the year people are legally allowed to play 2 UP............

EDIT: Here is a link to find out what 2UP is

Hope you enjoyed my show review.............

.........take care til next time.....Chookyblue.........

15 comments:

Cardygirl said...

Glad to hear your "bloggy voice" again! Sounds like your show is almost as much fun as your life!!!!
Thanks for sharing!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

I also took the same trip down memory lane...cracker night and how good were they...and yes the good old B & S...just shake your head with that one...LOL....

Vickie said...

And we are fortunate up here and still allowed cracker night-although they are getting very strict on the public parks and places that you are not permitted to let crackers off.We always have a gathering at our place and have a safe and enjoyable evening...trips down memory lane are good for the soul eh,cheers Vickie

Julie said...

Nothing like some pretty taffeta teamed with a grungy pair of Blundstones.........mmmmmm........and that was just for the boys...........mmmmmmm........I'm letting way too many secrets out of the bag here. Nothing like a good B&S, were you a Young Farmer by any chance?

Kris Meares - Tag Along Teddies said...

Hey Donna! We watched the same program and some of the footage of the 80's was scary cos we remember it so well! :0) Didn't do the B&S thing, as I left our small country town to go to uni, but heard lots of stories! I loved the beer can regatta in Darwin and the Henley on Todd in Alice Springs - only in Australia! Tee! Hee! Hee! My bro lives in Alice Springs and has seen the confused looks on tourists' faces when they go to the 'regatta' and there turns out to be no water - very funny! The only boat race that gets called off due to water in the river! :0) Hope you had a lovely Easter - I'm still catching up after a few days away! Bear Hugs! KRIS

Teodo said...

Sometimes I do A trip in my memories and..........is so nice remenber.
ciao ciao

Lurline said...

Juat finished watching 20 to 1 -
B & S Ball? What year was that? - we moved to Mount Isa Q in 1964 and had no tele or capital city newspapers - I listened to the First Man to Walk on the Moon on the radio - see, I was intellectually deprived (lol)!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Kris said...

I remember cracker night. Such fun!

Kris said...

Hmmm... just reflecting on cracker night. We always had a bonfire in our suburban backyard, and that reminded me of our backyard incinerator. Every yard had one. When my Dad was going out to burn the rubbish he would announce his intentions and invite any pyromaniacs to come help. I was always the first one out the door. Dropping individual items into the burning incinerator was always so much fun. Hasn't the world changed a lot since then!

Anonymous said...

It was a great countdown last night wasn't it. So many memories but I didn't go to ANY B & S's.....
I was a good girl....I've waited to play up when my kids were old enough to feel sorry for me and look after me. LOL!

Jenny said...

Thanks for the show review! I used to LOVE the fact that we could get firecrackers and yes this was a walk down memory lane for me too-I think Katriana is a hoot!

Julia said...

We watched it too!
It wasn't around when I was that age to go to them...by that time I was married with three kids...I don't now if I could handle all those people, but sure looks like a lot of fun!
Julia ♥

Bev C said...

Lucy and I watched that show, it certainly was an education as far as the 80's are concerned. Did we really look like that. We were actually saying how embarrasing it would be if you were watching it with your family and you came on the screen. What about that woman in the big dress at the desparate and dateless ball!!! Plus Bert really is a scream I don't know if he writes is own gag lines.

Unknown said...

Cracker night was my favourite .

Leanne said...

It is always a good walk down memory lane....the Chinese writing and the red paper that was fireworks.