Tuesday 2 April 2013

sharing skills......

On the weekend I got to share some sewing skills with my friend staying..........she had plans to do some sewing so she could learn how to do things better......like how to get your points to join better and using a 1/4" foot........she is a very new beginner to patchwork and quilting and been teaching herself.....
She has learnt heaps this weekend.
I was working on this twister quilt............I had most of the blocks together so finished the top off and then started to cut it up............she was watching this progress as she worked on another little project...........
Thanks to Janice I have my own 10" Twister ruler now and I love it.............
the colours in the right pic are more true colour.............

As the quilt progressed it was so addictive..........you just wanted to see more come together......

cutting the blocks....................
the scraps at the end..........the squares are about 4.5".........
So as mine was coming together my friend had plans to make a different quilt but with a little encouragement (that she could do this while with me) she was so excited when she got the quilt top together just before they left on Monday morning........and her joins were so good............a massive boost to her confidence..........
Her quilt is more hot pinks and brighter yellow and the green has butterflies on it and the same pinks and yellow as the other blocks.........She just had yardage so we had to cut the blocks before she started.........
it looks great in the brights too........
  

I just want to make another one NOW..............
&&&
Oh and the bad news I don't think I have yardage for the Wild Rose quilt in the previous post.......it was WildFlower I have fabric of.............bugger..............i'll have to check if there is anything else I can use in the stash..............I would like to have a go at quilting this one myself and then try the twister quilt..........
Catch you later..............
Chookyblue

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

how nice to help your friend learn sewing,love the quilts.xx

Cathy said...

The Twister effect looks great! I might have to have a go at this one too!!

lousnewsandcraftycreations said...

Lovely to sew with friends,
Both quilts are great.x

Noela said...

I love both the quilts. Blue is my favourite colour. What is the fabric you have used in that one Chooky? Hugs.....

Susan said...

That is terrific progress for your friend - she must be chuffed! quilters are such generous people...

Satu said...

Lovely Twister quilts!!! I know from experience that the playing with the twister is VERY addictive. And I LOVE your blue fabrics!!!

SG said...

They are both lovely!I bought the little twister ruler and haven't tried it yet... You are giving me ideas... And sewing time is always limited!

Janice said...

I'm so pleased you have both made quilts with the ruler. They are so much fun as they come together at the end.

Pip said...

It's nice to spend sewing time together with a friend, really makes the time fly. Love both your quilts, now I want to make one (as if I didn't have enough on my plate already)

Susan said...

That does look like a fun quilt to make. Your friend did really well.

Fiona said...

Looks like a fun quilt.. and so effective.... great to be spreading an addiction with friends...
Hugz

rachelmp said...

Both you and your friend must be thrilled. Great skill sharing and fantastic quilt tops too

Wendy said...

such a good friend you are to do some one to one lessons. Did you use the small twister for your quilts.

Salley said...

OMG . . . . you made a quilt and then sliced it up???
Clever, brave, Chooky. Its divine.

Lynda said...

What a great visit for you and your friend - both quilts look fantastic. If you go to www.quiltshops.com you could search for your Wild Rose fabric - you never know what shops have some hidden away.

Unknown said...

And what will you do with all those tiny scraps? It's hard to let material go isn't it? Even little pieces.

Anita said...

They look great....your friend did so well!!
I love the way the Twister blocks come together...I did a 5 inch one last year, just need to back it and quilt it.

Chocolate Cat said...

Love both variations of this quit. Nice to have company to sew with.

Pine Valley Quilts said...

Love the quilts, how lovely to share with good friends

Lyn said...

They look amazing..fabulous effect with the twist in them..Hopefully you find something to match your quilt

Susie said...

Stunning quilts choosy, the look complex to me

Cheryl said...

Love the twister quilts - such a cutie. Always great to encourage some new patchworkers. Hope you warned her how addictive it is chooky

FloS said...

You have both worked perfectly !!
What beautiful quilts !
Florence

Googy Girl said...

The quilt looks amazing...i love it....

you will have to teach me when i come up for a visit

Trish

Shiralee Stitches said...

OOHH I love what that twister ruler ceates. Do you know where to buy one in Australia?.....very clever......

Jenny said...

wow amazing transformation in that fabric. Love it

Anonymous said...

They look very effective :)

Grethe said...

Amazing how the twister ruler changes from squares to lovely wild flowers!
Love your blue quilt:-)

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...


What a lovely time that wouldve been Chooky....sharing and learning....love the idea!

Michelle said...

They both look great funny how just the colours can change the look so much.

Leanne said...

Both quilts are lovely. Isn't quilting clever.