Tuesday 31 May 2016

Design boards more info..............

Thanks for all your great comments on my last post on the design boards..........


This is the you tube video on how I made the design boards. I used hard artist canvas boards (not the ones stretched over a timber frame) Lori used foam core board. I don't have this available locally...........but one day I would like to give it ago........
Also I have done this with good old clag glue instead of the hot glue gun which worked too but you have to wait for it to dry. 
Starch the binding will help too............
I made these in a very short space of time...........bit of a production line.............I use them heaps.........not sure how I lived without them............
I had been putting it off but bit the bullet and bang heaps were done..........why was I waiting.....
Let me know if you make any........
.........take care til next time.....Chookyblue.........

13 comments:

bettsylyn (Lynda) said...

I think your alternative of using the boards is a good idea. I am making some at the moment (shhh they are for gifts) and I am using the foam core board. It is nice and light but comes in large sheets and you have to cut them up. It took me quite a quite a while to cut 18 squares a few days ago. I didn't find the old rotary cutter was the best way to cut it so had to resort to the Stanley knife which could have been dangerous. Tomorrow I am working on the glueing. And even living in a large city I didn't find it easy to get the board.

Thimbleanna said...

Those little boards are so cute and functional -- I've been meaning to make them but just haven't found the time. Maybe I should just buy them -- I saw some for sale at sample spree at market!

Fiona said...

those are great... I made some using coreflute (now there are election signs all over the place they would be a good way of collecting some for free!!!) and have been given some using that thin canvas board - perfect size already. I used them all the time. I loved your running out of glue story! haha - just the sort of thing I would do!
Hugz
Hugz

Fiona said...

those are great... I made some using coreflute (now there are election signs all over the place they would be a good way of collecting some for free!!!) and have been given some using that thin canvas board - perfect size already. I used them all the time. I loved your running out of glue story! haha - just the sort of thing I would do!
Hugz
Hugz

nimble thimble stitchery-do said...

Love your mini design boards Chookyblue. I have a few in different sizes. I love them. I used pretty duct tape (purchased at the Dollar store) instead of fabric and glue. Holds very well and is quick and easy to make.

Motherdragon's Musings said...

They look fantastic and functional. Might put them on the to-do list.

Cheryll said...

Thanks Chooky...xox

Jo said...

Great idea. I was wondering what to use...

Jo said...

I've wanted to make some for ages. Might get some done now...

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

I have made some but need to do the edge might I like here way .. Thanks Chooky xxxxqx

Show and Tell said...

Got a whole sheet of foam insulation board packed in the car....Woop Woop get ready to create!

KaHolly said...

I used plastic serving trays from the dollar store. They worked great! I like your idea to use artists canvas boards, too. I can purchase them more easily than the foam core board.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Thank you so much Donna....I didn't even know these existed! Good tutorial!