Saturday 10 December 2016

Dust storm

Hooley Dooley.........what an evening.........
since I popped in here last we have had a massive and I mean MASSIVE dust storm hit.........it was windy all afternoon......but about 7pm it hit.
Maybe 5 mins before these pics I had looked out the front and thought yeh we might get a storm later.........you know the ones that carry rain...........I went out to turn some hoses off and as I came around the back side of the house I looked up and saw brown.........yelled at the family to get the washing off the verendah and make sure the house is shut.......ran to turn the hoses off........
dashed inside to grab the phone and I went up the back fence and took this photo to the right...........you could see about 2kms away at this point...........
to the left you could see the front of the dust storm and it was coming in very fast.........
only a minute or 2 later I was at the side of the Chookshed and at times you could not see the dam bank which is no more the 100m or the things lined up on the fence about 30m away......
It was wild the gulahs and other birds were going crazy screeching and debris was swirling around everywhere..........
Wished i had a wind measure as it would have done a huge reading I am sure.............
the power had gone off and we sat outside in the dust storm as prior to it hitting it was stinking hot and it brought a dusty but cool change thru with it.........
we were covered in dust but grabbed a nice relaxing drink and sat it out.............this was the view after the worst had gone thru.......
we showered grabbed some easy food by candle light and hopped into bed.........I woke about 4.30am when the power came back on.......turned a few lights off............went into the lounge room and the tv and air con were running.......you forget what things were running when the power went off..........

I've been busy and will be again today and possibly tomorrow so maybe Monday I will clean up..........it is feral........everywhere you walk it is dirt......
great vegies producing............and some eggs..........
&&&&
I've also been to a special school presentation night..........7 of my nieces and nephews were in the concert.........also 3 kids of my cousins..........
thats getting close to 1/3 of the school........
&&& 
Also need to drag out the christmas tree and decorate............maybe after we do some cleaning on Monday......latest ever to set it up.........
Have a great weekend...........
Catch you later....
Chookyblue.....

Keeping the love of blogging alive

19 comments:

Katie said...

Gasp. I don’t think I could sit out in that. I’m hoping I’ll never know. ;-)

Jindi's Cottage said...

Argh cleaning the dust out of all the cracks and crevices it finds to put itself...at least you got a cool change out of it...and atmospheric pics...

Anita : Shabby Quilt said...

Hope the clean up isn't too big. Lovely veges.

Susan said...

I've only ever seen one dust storm and that was huge - closed the airport for hours - maybe a day! but I wouldn't want to be out in it either. - darn about the extra clean up - I haven't decorated yet either ...very tardy.

Raewyn said...

Wow! You are brave sitting out in that! And I thought the dust from the logging trucks on our road was bad.... :-)

Maria said...

Great photos.. I've seen many dust storms when we lived in the Goldfields but I wouldn't sit in it either . Horrible job cleaning up afterwards.
Lovely to go to the kids concert.
Enjoy the cool change.

Elyte said...

Is there no end to the surprises that the weather brings? Enjoyed the photos. Tree decorating due here too.

gracie said...

Great pictures. We are no strangers here in Arizona USA to the dust storms and they do leave quite a mess. Our tree is up (all three). Nice to have it all finished.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chooky ,omg what amazing pics you took,dont think i would like one of those,did it play havoc with your sinuses.xx

Denice Barker said...

Fantastic photos, especially of the front line! Amazing! Sorry about it's aftermath though. Kind of like us clearing out after a snow storm. Well, maybe not.

Lin said...

How amazing! - pretty frightening too I should imagine. xx

jude's page said...

Great photographs, and love your vegie pickings. No tree up here yet, 2 weeks to go isn't it??

CountryMum said...

Thankfully dust storms is not something we see a great deal of. They are just terrible to go through.

pandchintz said...

Oh my goodness! Dust storms are so scary, and soooo messy! Glad you're all ok.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Oh good grief....so yuk! Glad you are all ok.

Connie said...

O my goodness! Bad stuff!

Fiona said...

Oh goodness and that fine dust goes everywhere. the pics are really good and the fresh produce looks great...
Hugz

kiwikid said...

You have taken amazing person photos! Boy b fancy sitting that one out, I would be hiding inside!!

Jenny said...

Your produce basket looks great. Not so the dust storm. Sorry for the mess