Thursday 15 December 2016

Edelweiss????

How funny...........when I posted the flannel flowers both Vreni @ Oops-Lah and Anne Heidi @ Piece by Piece said it looked like Edelweiss.........
I had no idea what they were talking about so off for a google search........
Image result for Edelweiss
(Edelweiss)
I never knew what it was other then the name of the song from the Sound of Music......lyrics can be found here....I know your all shaking your heads in disgust but was I the only person who didn't know this............
I love the song and now I love it  even more now knowing what this beautiful little flower looks like and yes it is very similiar to the Flannel Flowers.........
And taken from Mr Wiki
"according to folk tradition, giving this flower to a loved one is a promise of dedication"
10 sleeps unil Christmas..............
take care til next time.....
Chookyblue.........

Keeping the love of blogging alive

15 comments:

jude's page said...

You were not the only person who did not know, I have learned something too.

Maria said...

I didn't know either but it great to learn something new every day. Thanks Ladies...

Katie said...

Ok. I knew about edelweiss, but I’ve never heard of flannel flowers! :-)

Linda said...

I didn't have a clue either.

gracie said...

Like Katie, I knew about Edelweiss but never heard about Flannel flowers. Are they only in Australia?

Narelle said...

I had no idea what Edelweiss was ... love the song :)

Oops-Lah said...

You are excused not knowing what Edelweiss flowers are since you live in Australia ;)! But it's always good to learn something new, like I learned about the flannel flowers. I did google them and it said that they belong to the same family as carrots (!) and that they are iconic plants of Sydney. Who knew! Yes, Christmas is here before we know it. I hope you are enjoying the season. xx

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Funny, I did notice it looked a little like Edelweiss, but it really reminded me of our Mullein plants. They have a flannel textured leaf but little yellow flowers instead of white. They are also used for medicinal purposes. As my grandmother used to say "You learn something new every day if you are not careful". She was a hoot and always put her special twist on any saying!

kiwikid said...

Now I have the song running around in my head !!!! The edelweiss is the national flower for Switzerland isn't it? There are so many beautiful flowers in the world.

Fiona said...

it's a pretty little flower.... I knew it was a white flower but not that it looked like that.... we learn each day!
Hugz

pandchintz said...

And thank you, that song is now stuck in my head for the day!!!!

Anne Heidi said...

I had never heard of flannel flowers, so I learned something new as well :-) Yeey!

Jenny said...

Funny this morning on the today show channel 9 the younger Stefanovic brother said he had never watched the Sound of Music or the Castle ??? He would not know either I guess. The older hosts were giving him a hard time. I know Edelweiss was a flower but I have never seen one..?? now I have.

Sherry said...

I did not know it was anything but the song title either.

It is fun to try to learn something new each day. . .and you helped me with today!

Merry Christmas to you and your family

Jindi's Cottage said...

Like Jenny I knew Edelweiss was a flower but hadn't seen one...and now I have too! And it is more complex than I imagined it to be ... still love Flannel Flowers though :)