Wednesday 23 August 2017

the journey..............

this is potentially a long post without photos.............but its one I want to write as a record for me and if you make it to the end well i'm not sure what it will be for you maybe some motivation because if I can do it anyone can do it......anyway here I go..........

I've thought long and hard about whether to write this post...........but I want it for my record.........it's my little spot in the world..........at times I wished I had written a blog along the way..........
3 years ago I started a journey..........didn't think where I would be in 3 years at all.........what i wanted to do was buy a Fitbit........I tried a few pedometers and they didn't work or I knocked them off my waist band and they cleared the step total.........I tried a couple of mobile apps but they varied way to much so I wiped them............late August 2014 I finally got a Fitbit flex..............
I had one simple goal to do 10,000 steps/day to make myself fitter.......its the bench mark they all recommend...........

My first walk was with my friend Jannimary............I remember that walk so well............OMG it was terrible...........she had some up and down country at the time............I live on the flats............I could not say they were hills but just a bit of a rise in our walk and I was puffed and it was terrible.........could barely talk walking..............NOW I cannot believe I let myself get so unfit and unhealthy..........but weight just slowly  creeps on an suddenly wham...........
I will never forget that first walk..........

So the first week I didn't do anything extra except for that walk to get a bit of a base reading of what i normally did............I was way under the 10,000 step goal...........so I got moving.......I walked out the wrong door and the long way around the house to the clothes line...........parked further away at the shops..........just tried to add in incidental walking..............do an extra lap around the house when I went out to do something...........if I was ironing I would take one item to a room at a time.........just picked up what I could where and you know all those extra steps slowly added up...........I would do short walks.............
then I paid a little more attention to my Fitbit..............it was  also showing me how many calories I may have burnt during the day............

I started looking at labels on food and thinking OMG I just walked for X amount of time and it burnt off X amount of calories.....I cannot possible walk enough time today to walk off those calories...............so I stopped eating some foods I needed to wipe out anyway.............I started looking at my meal sizes........not really much about what was on my plate but how much was there.........

At this point I was weighing myself weekly.........I found this was difficult for me.........some weeks I thought I had been good and I would not lose much or put some on...........I was losing dedication to the steps.............I started weighing myself daily.............for me this is something I would have never thought i would do but for me it works..........your weight is constantly up and down.............so long as it goes up and down in a downward direction that is all that is important..........

I started walking..........actual walks.........to start it was to the gate...........then  the ramp.......then the dam......then it was minimum 10-15 mins.......it was coming into summer...........I love walking at sunrise or sunset..............for about 5 months I didn't even really walk in joggers..........mainly slip on thongs............my girlfriend gave me a good pair of joggers she didn't fit right and OMG it was like heaven...........so much better then the crappy ones I had............. 

I slowly started changing what I ate..........and how much of it..............
there have been ups and downs along the way...........
major life crisises/changes.........
sometimes things were easy to do............somethings felt impossible............
I'd fall over so to speak but then pick myself up again and get back on track..........

I ended up seeing a natropath/nutritionist.............for me this has been wonderful............something I would recommend........not a dietitian.......they are different and better in my opinion..........
my health is so much better...........some foods just don't agree with my body...........life is better without them...........
Walking comes and goes..........over winter it is a little harder......days are shorter..........excuses easier to find.........I've discovered i still have crappy knees but know how to manage them.........also found out I have exercise asthma.........walking is like stitching for me........it's like therapy.......it is crazy but using energy to walk actually creates more energy.........revitalises you........

I've thrown out a ridiculous amount of clothes.........heaps to a friend who lost her home...........as I have lost weight i've brought new clothes and the feeling when you realise you have grown out of those is amazing..........while I look at photos I still can't really picture myself  then to now...........how big I really was.........anyway it's still a work in progress.............I still weigh myself daily............a few months ago I tried not weighing myself daily and for a month or two just did it weekly if at all and really that does not work for me........it's much easier to see the daily changes and I pull my head in much quicker.................you have to adapt what you eat or how you eat it.........think outside the square a bit to get what you want.........
ie. if I have a hamburger I still have it but just on a plate instead of in a bun..........don't add the chips to the plate.........
I drink tea, green tea, lemon and ginger tea (thanks Kris), soda water with lemon and water........I drink limited coffee.........at times I have gone months without it.............

1/4 of me is gone.........my body is healthier, I am heaps fitter then what I was, I have much more energy, I am not tired like I used to be........some of that was weight related but some due to other issues I had with my body which we have sorted out along the way.........
Winter is nearly done and the days are starting to open out so walking will be much easier again..............excuses will be harder to find........
i've challenged myself in ways with food and exercise............amazed myself with what I have achieved along the way..........
I've probably said to much here and forgotten some points I wanted to put in here............I've been writing this post in my head for ages but as I hit the 3 year mark I decided I needed to get it down on a page for me............
I wanted to change what and how I ate for the better permanently..........life changes...........not just for the minute changes that don't last.......changes that will stay with me............it has been a slow transformation but one that will stay with me hopefully forever.......

to celebrate I brought a new Fitbit HR and next time I am away shopping I need a new pair of joggers.....i've worn these ones out.....my journey continues

my words of advice........
go take that first step...........
take baby steps to start with in food or exercise........
make changes you can keep........
massive changes suddenly I think are to hard to stick with........
slow and steady wins the race............

thanks for reading if you made it his far.........
Goodluck.......
Catch you later......
Chookyblue.........

52 comments:

Maria said...

Fabulous post, well done.

Katie said...

Thank you for sharing. Well done you! I'm eating better, but not walking like I should. Here it's very hard to walk in the summer. To hot and humid and too many mosquitoes. Poor excuses I know. :-)

Days and colors said...

A beautiful journey, Chookie. Thanks for sharing, it's motivating for many of us.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

First of all, I am so proud of you for making the changes and for sharing your inspiring story with us. You inspired me to walk more several months ago and I did well for a while and when things got busy I let my walking go. Thanks for getting me back on track (no pun intended)! Keep up the good work and enjoy the process. Thanks again for sharing.

NADINE said...

Heartful congratulations, dear Chookyblue !
I must say I read each word of your post with great interest, and I take your words as big encouragements :D
I have always been quite fit, still weighing 70 Kgs for 1,80M, after 4 kids and a very static life (I'm not sportive at all). Then came menopause, and a few more kgs... I didn't mind, as I was so much used to eat whatever I liked without any problem...and then more Kgs... and more, until I realized these wouldn't go away ! I'm 65 now, and I decided to get a check-up with blood tests, etc... WOW ! The results showed Hypertension (very high!), cholesterol and diabètes !!! This was like an electroshock, I couldn't believe I had reached that point. The consequence is now a DRASTIC NO salt, NO sugar, NO fat diet. Imagine : I married an Italian, and we love pizza, pasta, etc... !
It's not easy, but hubby is very cooperative and encouraging, bless him.
The good news is I already lost 6.5 Kgs in 3 weeks time. The Doctor wants me to reach a total of minus 25 Kgs for Christmas, and I believe I will, with determination, self confidence and discipline. I can see now that my legs are much less swollen (no salt) and my diabètes level has already decreased (no sugar (and by the way, believe me, there are hidden sugars in almost everything!), my stomach is staarting to get flatter, too (no fat, no sodas). Fortunately I just love veggies, soups, chicken breasts, and fish, and I have no sugar cravings, so I'm not starving at all and I still enjoy my meals...
THANKS to you, I'm now writinh a Fitbit on my next shopping list :D One day at a time, I'll reach my goal... and then I'll keep more attention, even when returning to a "normal" diet. Wish me luck !

and thanks again for that very inspiring post XOXOXO

NADINE

loulee said...

That is fantastic. Well done to you. Learning bad habits is very easy, but getting in to the way of good habits can be incredibly difficult, but have done it. Xx

Thimbleanna said...

Wow -- Congratulations! Exercise is addicting, isn't it? I just wish I had more time -- it would really make it a lot easier LOL!

sunny said...

Congratulations! I'm working hard to lose one fourth of me! I eliminated sugar and many carbs because of Diabetes. They weight started falling off. A friend invited me to water aerobics. Fun!! I ended up joining her gym, which has a few classes geared to the older set, and I love them. I'm still getting toned and getting a good workout, but not killing myself. The further I go on this journey, the further I want to go!! I love finding 'skinny clothes' in my closet that I haven't been able to wear in years. And I bought my first pair of yoga pants!!!! LOL! Keep working it girl, we can all encourage each other.

Denice Barker said...

First of all, congratulations! I think the more you/we lose the more incentive there is to keep going. I'm finding transitional clothing the problem right now - and what a problem to have! But trying to put the baggy things away and find things that fit but might not soon is a challenge.
You're absolutely right, it's not quite so much what you eat but how much of it. I have found I can have SOME of it but don't have to have ALL of it. 35 pounds since mid-February.

Supergoof said...

Je bent GEWELDIG!! XX

Sue SA said...

Thank you. It helps to hear your story. The things I love to do (sew) + my job (office) = no exercise, so it is easy to be lazy and never move. I will start researching buying a fitbit, because I need the motivation!

Jeanette said...

Thanks for sharing your story. I really need motivation to exercise & lose weight.So easy to slip into bad habits & so hard to shake them. Time for me to also get motivated. Hugs,xx

jude's page said...

Thanks for sharing that, I needed to read it all, and yes, it's so easy to find excuses. Well done to you.

Sharm said...

Fantastic Post and its great to see the journey! I know when I hit my 50s life somehow changed and I gained weight and became less active - I caught myself when I hit 89kgs (I had always been around 64)- that was 4 years ago. I love my fitbit, but its getting old and I probs need to get a new one ..... I recently got new runners lol. Keep up the great work, with Summer on its way you will automatically become more active xo What a great celebration for you!!!

Anonymous said...

you are amazing my friend,i am so proud of you and what you have achieved,you have given me motivation to get going again,love your story its one of hope and encouragement to everyone that reads it,lots of love xxxx

pandchintz said...

Yay!! Well done you. And thank you - I need to start doing this too. The weight has crept on and it needs to get off. So thank you for pushing me to make a start. Keep up the good work!

Fiona said...

well done you... you are looking wonderful and its great you are feeling wonderful with it...
Hugz

Janice said...

Good on you! I remember when we were in town and you bought your first Fitbit. I'd never even heard of them at the time, and your first walk at our place. I do remember how you struggled at that time. I now turn the clock forward those three years, and note how I struggled keeping up with you at your place, and as you said, you are on the flat. It is time for me to get my act together, and like you, as the weather improves and now that hopefully my work hours are sorted I can get started....baby steps required to start with.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

All it takes is that first step! Good for you to not give up and keep at it. Congratulations!

Lynda said...

Very inspiring post. You expressed my exact feelings. I really need to start somewhere. My doctor called me to tell me my cholesterol was too high. Good time to start something don't you think! Throw those excuses out and see what I can do. Thanks for the encouragement.

Lynny said...

Inspiring post, sounds like the right way for me to go. Ever since losing my DH and moving away from where we were living I have let things go. This is the inspiration I need to begin, love the fact you say not to make major changes, which I tried to do recently, lasted a couple of months but have been struggling this week.
This was just what I needed to restart, more baby steps this time, thankyou, hugs

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

LOVE this! Thank you for sharing it. xx n, np

Anita said...

So proud of you and what you have a achieved. Xx Maybe your achievement should be the kick up the bum I need lol

Anita said...

Oh and I got a fit bit before we went away and wore it all the time when we were away as we doing crazy amounts of steps....but now.....

Susie said...

Very inspirational, clearly achievable in the long term instead of radical dieting. Good on you. Thank you for sharing.

Goofin' Off Around the Block said...

That is amazing what you have done. You have done it step-by-step in a way that was tailored perfectly to you. Everyone is different and everyone's journey is different; they just need to find the journey that suits them. Thank you for writing this piece. It is very motivational. Andrea

Lynda said...

So inspirational and honest. So very well done for making these changes to your life.

Bizzy Martine said...

You've convinced me to go and buy a fitbit.
Since a few months I'm thinking about it.
I had my 50th birthday on sunday, so I'm going
to give myself a present!!!!
Love,
Martine

Lin said...

Congratulations! And thank you for sharing I am sure it will be an inspiration for many. xx

Yvonne W said...

Congratulations!

Kate said...

Well done, I think I need to get myself a fitbit!!

Jo said...

You are a great inspiration. I have just started going for a half our walk at lunch time with a colleague. Now my foot can handle things a bit better I am going every second day for another half hour walk after work. It is a push to do but a habit I need to get in to. So well done to you and keep up the good work...

Jan said...

Good for you, Chooky - you are amazing. I'm really proud of you and what you have achieved. Had my own wake-up call a few months ago when I was diagnosed as high risk of diabetes. Doctor wasn't very informative so I organised appointments with a diabetes educator and a dietitian at the local community health clinic. Learned heaps of good stuff from them plus have been doing lots of related reading, walking and had my first gym session on Monday. Have lost 5 kg so far through this, plus smaller meals, not eating between meals and other sensible stuff I should have been doing a long time ago. Hope I can do as well as you're doing. Xx

Jan said...

Good for you, Chooky - you are amazing. I'm really proud of you and what you have achieved. Had my own wake-up call a few months ago when I was diagnosed as high risk of diabetes. Doctor wasn't very informative so I organised appointments with a diabetes educator and a dietitian at the local community health clinic. Learned heaps of good stuff from them plus have been doing lots of related reading, walking and had my first gym session on Monday. Have lost 5 kg so far through this, plus smaller meals, not eating between meals and other sensible stuff I should have been doing a long time ago. Hope I can do as well as you're doing. Xx

The Sloan Patch said...

Good on Friday yout Chooky...awesome.

kiwikid said...

Well done, you are an inspiration and motivator. After reading your post yesterday I went for a bike ride! Now to make it a habit!!

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Great post Chooky, and well done! I am trying to make baby steps too.. not with walking, but eating. Very inspiring, thanks for sharing xx

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I think I'm at the point where you were three years ago and this post has inspired me to take more control of my eating and activity (lack of) habits. Like Joy, I am still in the baby steps phase.

Maria said...

Wonderful and inspirational post; thank you for sharing! 💕

Narelle said...

Congratulations! Very inspiring :)

Claudia said...

Congratulations ! ...... I am very happy for you.

simplestitches said...

congratulations ChookyBlue...like you I had let my eating and exercise habits go out the window about 4 years ago. My 50th was approaching and I was in QLD with the family, plus menopause was raising her ugly head...saw a photo taken with one of my girls...it was the wake up call (photo) that I needed! Started walking everyday from then, short walks to start as I was so breathless, then further and further, now in Winter I do 30 minutes fast walking and Summer 45, have now added a pilates bootcamp session every week (been doing that about 2 years) eating less, cut out loads of sugar, more fruit and veggies, cut coffee out about 2 years ago. I don't weigh myself very often as muscle is heavier than fat and the numbers kept going up the fitter I became (this was doing my head in until I spoke to my trainer, decided after that not to weigh) but knew I was doing good as my clothing was looser and I almost needed some new ones.

Now 4 years on, I'm more toned, fitter and healthier, eat better but also give myself a treat every so often.

And yes you're right baby steps to begin....
It's all about how you personally feel and not everyone elses expectation of you.
so again congrats and keep up the brilliant effort, there's lots of us with you!

Jenny said...

You have done well and your determination to stick at it is awesome.

Raewyn said...

A very inspiring story - well done - and a good lesson in making it all part of your lifestyle rather than fad diets etc.

Carole~Quilter on the hill said...

Wow, thanks for this very honest and inspiring post. Our health is so important and unfortunately sewing is such a sedentary passion so thanks for the tips such as walking to the ironing board more :) Congrats on all you have achieved.

Kris Meares - Tag Along Teddies said...

Well done! You're looking awesome & as you said was one of your man goals, you look healthy. Glad I could help with tea options! :0) Bear Hugs! KRIS xx

nimble thimble stitchery-do said...

What an inspiration you are to us all! Congratulations on your efforts and your gains...or should I say losses. Depends which angle one looks at it eh?! I too have made huge changes in my lifestyle these past couple of years. Slow and steady wins the race. You go girl! Hugs from Canada!

Wendy said...

What a great inspirational post. I was looking at pics from my moms recent birthday party and was thinking how did I let my weight get out of control! I am looking into ordering myself a fitbit so your info was very helpful to me. thanks and good luck on your continued journey/

Quiltmoose - Dagmar said...

Congratulations!!! I know exactly how you feel as I have started to go the same path 1.5 years ago. I've got a Fitbit One - for me the most suitable as I just have it in my jeans pocket. I NEVER go to bed without having walked at least 10.000 steps and 20 floors (okay, I didn't make it on my flight to Australia LOL).
I have changed my eating habits and I am feeling so much better now :)
Loved to read your post! Thanks! And keep on walking :)

Terry said...

Congratulations! I lost around 70 pounds over the past 3-4 years and I still have a hard time believing I actually fit in smaller clothes now. It's a great feeling! :0)

dutchcomfort said...

Congratulations Donna! I’ve read your post before, but couldn’t leave a comment, as my computer didn’t play nice!
I should follow your example, but there are always excuses and I start again on every first day of the week ;-)

Carole said...

Lots to celebrate indeed. It is quite the journey. One, without knowing, we have been doing together. I too have lost weight, 3 sized down. I jog 2 miles most every day (writing this as I eat a spinach salad ;) Our days are getting shorter and it is difficult for me to get motivated to jog at 5:30 a.m. when it is so dark out (sun comes up around 7 a.m. and I have to deal with school buses, which I do not like) Thank you for sharing your journey. Cheers!