Tuesday 24 June 2014

paper piecing..............

OK so the big paper piecing update.............
the quilt I am working on is Floral Lanterns by Australian designer Sue Daley
I'm calling mine "blue lanterns"
I've only seen one other finished online and it was Leanne The Stitching Post she posted it on her blog just after I had purchased the kit.............that was in Sept 2011.............I started mine while I was on the road with the cattle droving.............once the droving stopped it stopped too until I saw Anne Ida"s posts earlier this month............reinspired I pulled the basket to the centre of the bench and resorted and worked out what I was doing....................

My tin is constantly being emptied and refilled at the moment...............

I have gone thru heaps of glue................got a new supply thanks Sandy...........

Since I pulled it back out I have got heaps of blocks done..................
blues 
had 19 prepped another 43 and have sewn 20 of these so 39 of 88 done
another 10 are cut
cream
cut all the blocks except the 1/2 jewels for the side............
had 22 done prepped another 16 and have sewn 6 of these so 28 of 70 done
3 edge blocks done too

so excited by this at the moment.........love the templates..........makes the cutting so quick for me..........

some of the original block done back in 2011............

sorting those ones out.............some I have done more then 2 blocks..............but thinking I will see how I am going and I may only have 2 blocks from each blue.................

ok before I pulled this out I had the top 3 rows..........

growing.............

This is where I am up to now.............put a few edge blocks in..........was going to add more here but wanting to get at least one of each of the blue blocks done and more cream blocks done.............
unfortunately I didn't realise at the time but the kits only come with so many papers and you need more........you need about 350 of each shape but you only get 200 of each shape.............if only I had known I would have requested more when I did the order but they don't tell you that do they..................the idea is you start to put it together and reuse the papers............which is what I am doing and I have only bugger up a couple of papers...........but I would have preferred to prepare all the blocks and then start putting it together..............

cream blocks waiting for more prep..............
Wacky Woman here is a pic of the glue I use............the blue shows up a bit more.........just a smear..............it holds beautifully and then just pull the fabric off when ready to remove the papers....easy.......
I got these blues on the weekend from Hatched and Patched.........still unsure about the blue and white but I like it so will wait and see what it looks like with the rest.............
some of the blue blocks I have put together in the last week.............
So thats the big update.............
Have you seen anyone else making this quilt.......have you made this or are you working on it????
I only know of Leannes and Anne Ida..........

Catch you later
Chookyblue

34 comments:

Susan said...

Lots of prep - but it will come together...and its always fun to get more fabric.

Fiona said...

love it... will be fun watching it grow...
Hugz

Rachaeldaisy said...

That looks like such a fun project to be working on. Lots of beautiful blues.

Melody said...

You have used a gorgeous selection of blues.

Michelle Ridgway said...

It is looking beautiful. I love the fabrics you are using xx

Cheryl said...

Lot of work Chooky but it's looking fantastic. Love the blues

Salley said...

This will be one of those "ah-ha" Quilts.
. . taking my breath away already!

Cubby House Crafts said...

Looking beautiful Chooky!

Anonymous said...

wow chooky this is going to be one amazing quilt i am loving it,no i havent seen this one around blogland,and its great that you are enjoying the process,have an awesome day my friend.xx

Leanne said...

Well done you, although I made this quilt for Tony I am using it at night to snuggle under while watching TV now the weather has turned cold. I love your blue version.

Yvonne W said...

Love the colour combination. After your suggestion, I did have a go with the glue-- was great sticking it down but had problems getting the fabric off-- making the seams unravel. Any tricks to removing the papers?
I do re use my papers--have been able to use them many times before they have to be thrown out. Looking forward to seeing the progress here.

Raewyn said...

Ohhh, I like it! This is gorgeous - looking like it will be really gorgeous!

Jan said...

Wow, Chooky, you are so patient! Your quilt will be lovely - the fabrics you are using are beautiful and I really like the blue and cream combination. I hadn't seen this pattern before so of course had to visit Leanne's blog to see her gorgeous quilt and Anne Ida's too.

Anne Ida said...

Oh this is looking fabulous! Love your blues and cream, and wonderful with all th varity of blues in there - it will be so warm an cozy! You really have made progress and it all looks so organised.
Keep stitching!

Cardygirl said...

That is looking great! You are doing a fabulous job...I remember you sewing this, so it is nice to see it out again!

Maria said...

WOW! You have been very busy with your prep work Chooky. I really like the colour of the fabrics you are using...

Chooky I am having trouble with my blogger dashboard. Can only see and read one blog at a time. I am viewing yours by going through another's reading list... Have you any idea how I may fix this. Thanks.

jude's page said...

I really like the blues, its my colour. Keep up the good work, hand stitching is not my forte though. I am with Maria, I can only see one blog also.... and sometimes can not leave comments, but hope this works.

Jewells said...

Unbelieveable.. speechless!

Janice said...

You certainly have been stitching, stitching, stitching. It's looking great and the colours are very you. It will be a wonderful achievement when it is finished.

Dasha said...

Got the same problem as Maria. I am reading my blogs by going through the list of people I have followed one by one.

Chooky, great blues you are using. I would never have thought of using glue for EPP. Must try it next time.

Wacky Woman said...

Thank you so, sew much for the great photo of the glue smear. I am going to try this next time. It would make getting organized a whole lot better.

Wendy said...

Very nice Chooky...my mom would love all those blues...

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

love it.....go girl....

KimM said...

Love the blues! Incredible amount of work and effort - but it is soooooooo gorgeous!!!

Show and Tell said...

Yummy....that looks like a fun project....Always feels good when you are excited about a project...Definitely more productive.....I hope you are getting some rain out there xx

Susie said...

Gosh I love the blues. Look forward to seeing more.

Susan said...

Lovely collection of blues. It's looking really good.

Michelle said...

Looking great it's a pattern I haven't seen before.

Thimbleanna said...

Wow -- I haven't seen that pattern before -- it's looking beautiful! I love those glue sticks -- I use the same method for my EPP.

Cheryll said...

Lots of work in this quilt...but it will be so worth it! :)

Rebecca in AK said...

I really like the blues you have chosen for this quilt. Are you hand stitching these like hexies! How large are the diamonds? This will be a great quilt!

Josie said...

Those fabrics are truly gorgeous! My inner green eyed monster is rearing it's ugly head... ;o) You are going great guns with the piecing and your prep work is perfect too.

needlesandpins said...

This will be a fantastic quilt. I am really fond of the pattern and the lovely fabric you have chosen. Is it sort of difficult to sew all the diamonds together? BTW how large are the diamonds. Maybe I find the patter here at a shop.
Keep up the great work.

Fiona@Dragonfly-Crafts said...

Oh I like it :)