Wednesday 25 July 2018

Roller coaster.....

life sure does feel like a roller coaster at the moment.......I just hope I don't get spat out the side as it rushes down and around the bend..........
the weekend was great with the girls but once they left it was time to feed..............
I had a day off town work Monday to get some cattle work done..............
pregnancy testing and working out what we can sell...............the last load of hay is like it is gold lined it was so much $$$$$......freight is a killer as it came from well over 1000kms away.......I can't keep spending that much money...........you would be horrified to hear how much our weekly feeding is costing at the moment.......
everywhere is so bare and dusty......
I snapped this pic when I started mustering early the other morning.........and as the plans of the day panned out and the reality of what I have to sell started to hit home......the day spiraled down........
We hadn't quiet finished the sorting out so Tuesday before town work we were in the yards finishing the job at daylight.........the cows are now in two mobs........keep and sell.........I know I keep talking about lack of rain but we have been feeding here since Jan/Feb 2017........yep that is 2017.............not 2018....in all that time we had about a month off feeding.............and this is on top of a crap run of 8 years........so much feeding in that time.........unless you live this life you can't really understand how hard this is at the moment...........yes I choose to be a farmer...........but selling your cows just cause you can't feed them is so sad...........not having fat rolling cows ready for market is a failure............I have worked on my cows for years and years and years..........slowly buying and selling and finally only in the last year or so feeling like I was close to where I had been aiming for...........always fine tuning......now that huge part of my life is being shattered.....already this is going to take us years to recover from........our crops are mostly winter and the sewing window is gone we are now not looking at growing grain and hay until 2019...........harvest is Sept to Nov.........
this isn't just my farm this is most of the state of NSW.......
this is going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better............and as  I load the cows on the truck there will be more tears shed.....my heart is breaking......but there is no choice but to carry on so that's what will happen..............
(comments are turned off as i just can't cope with them at the moment. I know you all mean well and this is not a sympathy post it;s hoping you understand a little more of my life)
Catch you later........
Chookyblue.......