Monday 31 October 2011

25 weeks & 2 days but who's counting............

Sadly Cardygirl has made her way home safe and sound and I will have some pics and news from her visit next but the biggest news of the weekend is that
the cows are now home....
last week I ended up with 2 days in the cattle yards............one day sorting cattle out working out what to sell, what to wean and who owns which calves...........the other sorting up for sale etc..........for the truck to pick up.................big days drafting with Mr Chookyblue and FIL.......
the first day was fine..............they were happy enough to plod along at my pace..........I was picking the cattle out for each yard............they were on the gates "blocking" etc................I will not BLOCK anything that wants to get away bad enough...........they can go I say and I will get them out again...............
the second day was different..............they were impatient men and I threaten leaving them to draft on their own several times............we got thru the day...............lots of cows sold and and lots of calves weaned to another property..............
On Saturday morning we were going to get up bright and early and start to bring the remaining cattle home..........but it was looking stormy and we decided to wait...............good thing we did as we got a bit of a storm come thru.............Sunday morning Mr Chooky headed off and started to bring the cows home...........gave them a break along the way then back at it again............we went down for the important part........pushing them along for the last bit......
.....it was very exciting ........NOTE Cardygirl has her working boots thongs on..........
Finally thru the last gate and they are home...............the little calves were pooped but I am sure they don't know what hit them today..........wandering around a big area as they please.............
we got 20mls (80points) of rain on the weekend and everything looks so fresh at the moment..........
We still are very short of rain for the year.............but lets hope it's awhile before I have to go droving again.............and we have made the right decision...........
My Chooky pincushion can now be retired from the car................she has been my constant companion and thread rubbish holder since moving out to the road 6 months ago..............wow 6 months............there has been some good and bad days in all that but it is wonderful to wake up this morning and not have to worry about who's going to the cows.............and if it is me pack a lunch box and sewing and hope the day goes well..............
Thanks for 
putting up with numerous cow posts.............
suffering a lack of sewing on the blog.......
putting up with a lack of posts when I temporarily lost the plot.............
the wonderful supporting comments you have left............
blogging yourselves as it gave me posts to read on my phone which killed the boredom at times.......
funny amusing comment and emails you sent me during the time..........
your friendship............
&&&&
I'll leave you with a sunset photo I took on my phone coming home from town the other night..............
Catch you later..............
Chookyblue

37 comments:

Anonymous said...

lovely post Chooky and good to get an action shot of Alison,glad you both had fun.

Wendy said...

You have been working hard! I have really enjoyed all your posts over the last six months....and especially the pics that you have posted about farm life and such.....the sunset is just gorgeous! Hope you have a great and wonderful week ahead of you.

Christine M said...

I've enjoyed your posts too, learning about farm life and working with cows!

Lorraine said...

Glad you have them home again....always enjoy hearing about life at your place...and am looking forward to checking it out for myself when I visit next year! Are Blundstone making working thongs now??

Anonymous said...

i am sure it is all ho hum to you, but those of us who live in big cities, like me, love reading your cow stories, but like us all, you also need a change and a break from all of that farm life.
i am so happy that you enjoyed your visit from cardy!

Fiona said...

I love reading all the posts... gives a glimpse of your life.... I do love that chooky pincushion which is looking very frazzled with all the threads....
Hugz

De said...

WooHoo for the rain! hope you get a little bit more.

Shiralee Stitches said...

Oh, Yippee...I am so pleased for you to be over the worst, and you now have your time to plan out for yourself (well to a certain extent, considering kids!!).....we hope to see some of that sewing now, and I hope your smile is much wider after Cardy's visit...(smile)

Josie said...

Your last photo looks like the closing scene of an epic movie... the sun sets on the Days Of Droving! Cue music.....
I'd say it's time you relaxed for a while but is that even possible on a farm!
Great photos... great post.. thanks.

Susan said...

Wonderful news about the cows Chooky....what on earth will you do with all the spare time now!!!??!!

AnitaS said...

I love your post, it is so diferent of my life. I hope you have a litle bit of quiet life now.

Anonymous said...

Hooray!
Hope there is plenty more rain heading your way (in manageable bursts of course) and plenty of stitching in your regained leisure hours...
;o)

Anita said...

Glad you and your cows are happy now!! Hope you had a great weekend with Cardy - I think I have some of those "work boots" too LOL

rosie said...

So pleased that you got some rain.. we missed out this time, but you need it so much more..
It's wonderful that the cows are finally home..
Hope you and Cardy had a fantastic time...

Jan Maree said...

Well I have loved your "cow" posts - really interesting to hear the latest - except for when you had hayfever - I felt for you then. glad the cows are home - hope things go well for you - looking forward to the next update!

Vickie said...

I have loved reading your cow adventures and mis adventures..I am pleased to read you get a rest now(kinda) enjoy-you deserve it,cheers Vickie

Annie said...

LOVE the cows!

Kris said...

Yay!!! So glad you're not 'a drovin' any more! Prior to reading your experiences my only droving experience was a song we sung in primary school.

Our Andy's gone with cattle now
Our hearts are out of order.
With drought he's gone to battle now
Across the Queensland border.
He's left us in dejection now
Our thoughts with him are roving.
It's dull on this selection now
Since Andy went a drovin'.

Every time I would read a cows post I would hear this song in my head. It has a very melancholy tune. I will have to assign a new tune to you!

Janice said...

Great news that the cows are home and life will be a little bit easier. The rest of your family won't know the place now that you will be home more. The house will be immaculate, wonderful meals will be cooked......well, maybe lots of sewing will be done, if nothing else. LOL. I'm glad you and Cardy had a great time. Have you got her well trained as a Jillaroo yet?

Cardygirl said...

Cooee! Loved my high performance thongs...wasn't going near the long grass in them after seeing so many snakes on the road! I had the BEST time and was glad I was there for the homecoming...a hug to you & the rooster...and a special hug to the chicks from Cardy-gan!

Jenny said...

Chooky you don't have to thank anyone. Even under the hardest times on the land you manage to email and blog and encourage us with our sewing. More people should be aware of how hard it is for some country girls in times of hardship on the land. It makes me appreciate the steak on the table and you.

Jenny M said...

Wishing you more rain & easier times ahead, with some time for you to sew as well in the comfort of your home.

Kats Studio said...

My goodness! We have cattle but not that many. I mainly help when they are calving and Ricky needs an extra hand, especially when there is trouble with the birth.
Glad you made it home and love the sunset.

Susan said...

I think I have only been reading your blog for 6 months - I just assumed you did cow watching ALL the time!! LOL!! Love your new header and the gorgeous sunset photo.

Lynn said...

Putting up with the cow posts?!? I love the cow posts! Thank you for sharing, it's exciting to hear about for many of us, especially with your beautiful photography .

Love Bears All Things said...

Girl, you deserve a rest or at the very least a spa day...tell Mr Chookyblue, I said so...
We'll expect to see lots of stitching now.
Mama Bear

Unknown said...

6 Months No Wonder You are Pleased to have them Home...
Glad you had a Good Weekend with Cardy...
Hope you can get some Time Out Soon
and some more Rain.
cheers

Anonymous said...

That is an amazing sunset. Glad you and the cows are home and hope you get more rain.

Satu said...

I have TOO enjoyed your stories about your farmlife during these past months - VERY MUCH!!! One of my favorite tv-program was australian 'McLeod's Daughters' and I think your tales are so similar with those cuts from their working life... Thanks for sharing, Chookyblue;)... and enjoy your 'freetime'!!!

FloS said...

Thank you to you !! I like very much to read your posts about your exotic life !!! Seems to be hard !! Now everybody is at home, what is your plans ???
Hugs
Florence

Brenda said...

so happy for you to have them home. Fingers crossed it's for a long time.

Joolz said...

The work our Australian farmers (and their wives) do goes so unnoticed. I hope everyone appreciates their steak next time they enjoy a barbecue of Aussie beef. Life on the land is harsh but it is people like you who keep the country going, in good times and bad. Wishing you that extra rain you need for a good season and many more to come. That sunset is stunning!

Cheers - Joolz

Jindi's Cottage said...

Yay! The cows are home!!! Great closing shot...enjoy being at home...at last! Hope you get lots more rain...

Quilt Kitty said...

We love your cow posts. You work so hard & achieve so much which is almost as inspiring as the whip cracking - haha. Tracee xx

nimble thimble stitchery-do said...

I love reading your posts Chookyblue. I grew up on a farm in British Columbia, but never did I experience 'cow times' like yours! Interesting!
I am looking forward to coming to Australia in July to see your sun set for myself.
Holly

Nicky said...

Woohoo, exciting times, no more 'off to the cows'. Does that mean less hand stitching time for Chookyblue though?
I've really enjoyed your cow blogging, and it's great to hear you've had some more rain.
Bet you're glad to see the last of thermos flasks and packed lunches for a while!

Chocolate Cat said...

Thank you for sharing your time with the cows with us, think most of us wished we were closer to help you out and give you a break. Fingers crossed they are able to remain at home long enough for you to forget what having them on the road entails!!! love the sunset photo!