Tuesday 20 March 2018

Make hay while the sun shines......

Well more like feed hay while the sun shines...........Cause it won't blooming rain...........
this post is especially for my reader in Sydney who likes my farm posts.........
if only the cows would learn to eat roley poley we would be fine..........but its probably like eating cactus or razor blades..............The only green thing is the roley poley and there is nothing else but dirt so feeding it is............
i was walking/running around helping to muster as we were in the ute............
And trying to get my kms in for March Charge.......I knew it would be dark by the time we got home...........
Occasionally you had to watch out for big holes........note end of my shoe........note size of hole.............and might I add it is about 2 foot deep............Not something you want to step into for fear of bad injury.........
In the other paddock the roley poley is bigger........lots of high stepping to clear it.......lost sight  of the cows for the dust..........
I was looking out for snakes and expecting to disturb one but thankfully I didn't see any sign of one........
Anyway that's my interesting bit for the day.........
Or  completely boring if you are only looking for sewing..........
&&&
The weather is really frustrating to say the least.........
on the weekend we had terrible fires down south due to extreme heat and winds................Darwin and surrounds had a cyclone............
over the last few weeks so many areas of Queensland have had heaps of rain........I grant some still none..........and today I read on the weather site big rain forecast for Newcastle/Hunter region..........
We can't seem to get a fall at all..............its just a land of extremes but I sure wished mother nature could even it out a bit more for a few years...........
Catch you later...... Chookyblue......

14 comments:

Rose Prairie Quilts and Farm said...

Sorry to hear about your frustrations with the weather, it's the one thing us who depend on it can not control. I hope you have enough hay to get you through this and winter. Our state Oklahoma has gone through a drought this year but here in the NE corner wasn't too bad as the western part. Hope you get some rain

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Once again I find myself wishing for rain for you. It does seem that Mother Nature gets a bit off balance from time to time. And, I don't even want to see what lives down in that hole!

Gail said...

Usually about this time I'd be offering up some of our rain but we are still way below normal as well. I think the seasons are shifting. Here is stays cool way into what used to be the really hot part of the year (not complaining) but then stays hot way into the time it used to cool off. Hoping for rain for you! Green grass would look really good!

Maria said...

Pleased you avoided the holes and snakes....
It would be fantastic if the weather was evened out but guess that won't ever happen....😢

jude's page said...

I love your farm pictures too. Probably just as well that man can't control the weather, as everyone would want something different. Here it is dry too, but not quite like you, some want rain, but the lucerne and grape harvests don't yet. Those roly poly's are massive, must be a sight when they all dry off, and blow in the wind!

Jenny said...

If you didn't have to feed cows I would see you tonight.... I hope you get some rain soon

Silly Goose said...

it's forgotten how to rain here too. Who'd be a farmer?

loulee said...

It must be so frustrating for you. Here is me wishing our weather would stay warm and dry a little longer, but we have southerlies and rain today.

Michelle Ridgway said...

I hope some comes your way. Never balanced is it!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

So windy here and no rain either fingers are crossed ❤️

Lin said...

Nasty hole - is that caused by the dry weather? Hoping you get some rain soon. xx

Janice said...

It’s like down here when you get paddocks of skeleton weed, which looks pretty, but is totally useless.

Maria said...

Wonder where those holes go.... I have to open a gate to a paddock with a key and I hold onto that key for dear life - sometimes i can be a butter fingers. Hoping for some rain to close those gaps up

kiwikid said...

I always enjoy your farm post, so you have to contend with that week, holes in the ground and the possibility of snakes!!! No wandering around looking at the view at your place!! What causes the holes? Imwish the weather would even out too, we have had some rain this weekend thansk goodness...even in a little country like NZ they can have stroms in one part and fires in another at the same time. Does not make sense.