Friday 3 June 2022

Party for one......

So this is the first year the Chookshed party has been cancelled due to rain...........we've had some very wet parties...........flooded creek a few times.........BUT the roads were better............with all the rain we've had the last year or two the dirt road I have is terrible........especially since November last year..........
Then with rain forecast earlier this week we cancelled the girls travelling........
yesterday I thought we had made the wrong choice...........but this morning it started to rain.........so right decision........... :(
I spent most of the day in the Chookshed......its pretty cold out there.......I had my little heater on and off but it's just not big enough on days like today.......add another layer and a scarf all good........even carting my ugg boots out there this week......usually I have some other slippers but they were not going to be warm enough for my feet.............
I've had a big reorganise in the Chookshed over the last few weeks...........I did some more of that today and what was left got sat on the back bench and I will look at it another day..........I wanted to sew.........
So I cut 3 new bindings......stuffed up two...........one was cut on the full length so a little harder to judge and the other was smaller and I buggered both up by a length each..........should have measured first..........
Also cut some grey background for the Double Churn Dash blocks and started the 1/2sq triangles for 2 blocks.........
This was a very big one...........I've cut the extra piece now but not got it added on yet..............
I was only going to cut the bindings and have them ready to attached tomorrow but I was listening to TGIF - Thank God It's Friday on the ABC radio it's always a funny session to end the week.........before TGIF ended the rain started and it was heavyish.........sounded loud enough on the roof anyway............
Still stuck in the Chookshed as I didn't want to get soaked I started attaching the bindings.............
this stupid little quilt was nearly the death of me.........
first I was short a length.........then I went to do the final join and I buggered up the cut on one end and then had to add some more fabric back in..............then I joined it but it had a twist in it............4th time lucky I got it joined and attached for hand stitching now............so one finished........
Anyway 1.5hrs later the rain stopped enough for me to head inside..........
no we have had that much rain I am sure Jules from up the road won't get here tomorrow either.........
so if your sewing tell me what your sewing tomorrow.............
I have a few quilts on the go that need some work so i'll be playing with them........maybe flit around like a butterfly and do a bit here and there..........
Keep the love of bloggin' alive......
Catch you later.........
Chookyblue.....

18 comments:

ButterZ said...

I’m at my sewing group tomorrow. Hopefully get a baby quilt together, basted and simple quilting. Would love to get the binding attached too. Let’s hope I achieve something.

Oh no. When it rains it pours. So sad for you not to celebrate but I’ll sew along with you.

Jeanette said...

I'm hoping to get more blocks done on red & white quilt I started today. It's sad no one could get to the chook shed to celebrate with you. Hope to sew most of the weekend but I've yardwork to do now it's dried out. Well it was but it started raining earlier. 😞. Hugs,

Annelein said...

What a day it is. Sorry you had to concilie the shed event... but what have you done a lot! I hope to cut some fabric for the churn dash blocks and sew some by hand this weekend. If there are no plans coming up to make me do otherwise... ;).

dq said...

Oh dang! Canceling must have made a few people sad, but driving through mud isn't worth it.

Love the striped binding.

Janet O. said...

Oh, major bummer having to cancel the party due to rain!!
On top of that disappointment, I don't know if I would have had any patience left to finally get that binding to work on the quilt that kept on giving you frustrations. But I guess if you were stuck in the shed due to rain, why not keep at it?
I am trying to get a quilt finished for my youngest grandson for his birthday celebration on Sunday. Will be finishing the quilting today, and hope to do the machine binding tomorrow. Haven't done a binding by machine in so long, I hope I don't really mess it up!

Fiona said...

I'm afraid I laughed at that binding story as I have done all those things... but not all on one quilt!! Looks lovely now! I'm sure you know I tend to go and sew whenever nothing else is happening at home... but I do hope I will get to cut my churn dashes out today.... need to finish sewing some blocks together first to make space...
Happy Sewing....

Hugz

Jackie said...

Not too sure if I will be working on some clothing I have cut out, or working on figuring out a new quilt. I do know I will be in the sewing/craft room at some point.

God bless.

loulee said...

Such a shame you have no company. I slept in this morning!! Must have needed it. I have chores to do today, but once they are done, I might continue cutting for the Churndash, or I might sin and cross stitch.
If you want to zoom, I'll sit and sew Lucy.

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Sorry you had to cancel your Chookshed party due to the weather - but you did manage to get lots done.

I'm hoping to do some sewing later although we have a new puppy in the house, who is an absolute time waster. I need to quilt a NY Beauty quilt but haven't decided how to quilt it just yet.

Jennifer said...

Toally sympathise with your binding woes! But the result looks great. Shame about having to cancel......we've had rain too, 19 mls since yesterday. Today plan is to do some work on my Canadian quilt, have a couple of blocks to make for my quilt group, fit in some practice later for a concert in a few weeks.....big solo......and of course put away the fabric and threads and stuff I bought in Canberra.

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Bummer that you had to cancel :( I'm sewing all sorts today and I heard a rumor that you're doing a churndash SAL? Back into blogging after a break... xx

Lin said...

What a shame you had to cancel but you made good use of your time. Lots going on there in the shed. xx

jude's page said...

Sorry you have no company, but think how much more you will get done without the chatter?? No sewing here, although Miss Bridie played with the sewing machine this morning, loves to try out the different stitches. THey have gone home now though, so I am catching up on blog reading and comments in the lounge by the fire with my laptop on my lap, listening to the rain, which has finally come this far south.

Deb said...

It is a great way to revisit yourself and ponder what you have done and what you will do next, doing some stitching and loving the fabrics. I am sorry that you had a rainy day but it will not be forgotten you will remember this day as rainy but productive and getting in just some you time.
a Belated Happy Birthday hoping that you have a great Year

Susan said...

I am so disappointed for you
and upset for you about your bindings. . . .
Working on my RSC as you know
Tonight (sat) sewed the pages of an ABC book together - might do a bit on Churn Dash - it's only 10.30
hugs

kiwikid said...

Sorry to hear the rain is back and you had to cancel the party, you got lots done though. All of those problems have happened to me too!

Diane-crewe said...

Sad to have to cancel .. but it was the right decision to keep everyone safe x SO glad you survived the quilt!! lol x

Denice Barker said...

Today is Sunday and it's raining here and we have a birthday to go to but the color choices are set out and being thought about for the churns. I may have to scoot ahead and do more than this month's assignment when I finally get to it.