Thursday 28 April 2022

farm and binding.........

Not in any real order of events but here's some pics I've taken in the last few weeks..........
Today will be cloudy again........we had about 37mm here yesterday..........maybe a little misty shower but I think that will be it until Saturday..........so nice not to have to think about driving to town for work with the rain...........
there's been some gorgeous sunsets.........even annoying Mr Chooky to stop driving so I can take pics............
hidden locations.........
the colours........
a patch on the farm clearly I have never been in in a good season..........the grasses are so long.......maybe 4-5ft..........It was interesting trying to ride a bike in here...........
it was pretty cool thought I felt like I had gone to another world..........it was very enchanting for me and I could go in there and stay all day............
there's been misty scuds around prior to the good rain...........
this little fellow was pretty new working in the yards..........
this girls are in great condition............fatty boom booms............
Mr Serious or should I say Master Serious......lets just say I was not trusting him.......hes like a rebellious teenager.......you don't know whats coming next..............
the dams are all full..........wonderful site..........
I love following along a mob of cows............
And this sunflower would have to be the biggest I have ever seen.............the grasses around it are 3-4 ft deep..........I would say it would be 9-10ft high..........the only one I could see anywhere........
this bubba was dropped in the yards..........it was still wet where I took this pic...........

this is the binding pile..........having knocked over the 2 quilts (posts to come) that had binding attached I have all these to work on............it's all cut just needs to be joined and attached the the quilt..............
I did this one first at a friends random colour choice.............
its a job I hate attaching binding............
but the job was so much easier once I changed the foot to the accufeed foot............just goes to show how long since I have done this I forgot what foot to use..............dopey...........
Then its the nervous part of making sure you have not caught any other quilt up underneath when trimming the edges..............
that's 3 prepped to hand sew the bind down.........I have started on the orange one..........
BUT right now I am going out to do another one............
&&&&
I do love being up close with my quilts again and it is like the beginning of the end hand sewing the binding down..........its like saying farewell to your quilt.........admiring the design, the colours, going thru the reasons why you made the quilt.........bringing back the memories of where the fabric came from...........who you were with either shopping or sewing the top.........who quilted it.......finding those last loose bits of thread........the weight and feel of the quilt......
Am I just odd or do you think about this when binding???
Actually don't answer that I know I am odd..............
BUT do you think about the above when binding????

Keep the love of blogging alive..........
Catch you later...........
Chookyblue.......


20 comments:

jude's page said...

Loving your farm pics Chooky, so different to a few years ago! Of course you are not odd, I would def be thinking those thoughts, if I did my own bindings 😉😉. You need a fairy too.

Raylene Edwards said...

I wish these fairy wings could fly the distance, I’d be in my element - needle & thread at the ready. Amazing photos, it’s wonderful to see farming at its best 💕

Gail said...

Wonderful pictures of the farm! Love that long grass and had to laugh at the girls butts! When I'm binding all I think about is that It's nearly done and then I can mark it off the list!

cityquilter grace said...

gorgeous photos....finishing is bittersweet...nice to have it done but feel strange not having it around...

Chris said...

I bind mine by machine. Those fatty boom booms will make amazing steaks.
I am at retreat this whole week with friends and Lucy has been very popular.

kiwikid said...

Wonderful photos around the farm, that new calf is so cute. Mostly I machine sew bindings, but when I do hand sew I am thinking this is almost done, yay!!

Lin said...

Some great photographs there Chooky. I especially love the first sunset. Adding the binding to a quilt is always a great moment for me. All that hard work is going to finally end up on my bed - or being gifted - and lots of happy memories of the stitching along the way. xx

marina said...

I love the final act of binding and I do look back on the making of the top and the history of the fabrics.
That looks like an amazing pile of quilts. Can't wait to see them with their bindings on and I hope there will be a show and tell!

your farm photos are always a joy to see.

marie said...

Love your blog, the photos especially. The wide open spaces are incredible. I also dislike binding.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

oh I want to come and hug that new baby--and give him/her a bottle of milk!!!
That is a nice pile of quilts you have there--
hugs, di

loulee said...

Lovely farm pics and that sunflower is amazing.
I think about lots of things while I close up the binding and if it's a gift I think about the person it's going to and hope that they love it and that it keeps them warm.

Fiona said...

lovely sunsets..... you have a good pile of quilts for binding... looks delicious!
Hugz

Jennifer said...

That'sd exactly why I like to sew my binding down by hand too. Love your big sunflower, perhps a seed or two might drop and you will have more next time. Love the farm shots, especially you new little bubba.....just think, one day it will be a teenager too!

Susie said...

Stunning pics. I love the binding part but basting...arrgghhh I have two to baste this weekend. All gifts, that's all I seem to make at the moment.
Take care.

Janet O. said...

I love following you around your stomping ground through your photos. Gorgeous vistas, and I enjoy seeing the animals, too.
Been binding a quilt myself lately. I am so slow at it--may take me well into next week to finish it. I only work in spurts on it.
Are you odd?--I won't answer that. Do I think about all of the stuff you said you think about while binding. Nope--I think about the movie I have on, or how long it is taking me to complete one side of the binding.

Kleine Vingers said...

When I'm quilting or sewing the binding on I remember lots about making the blocks and the fabrics, very similar to your memories

Janice said...

A nice newsy post. How wonderful to see your country and stock looking so good. I quit enjoy adding bindings. I suppose I don’t reminisce as much, as I usually add them straight away. It’s usually a case of calling my quilting fairy as soon as I finish a top and add the binding as soon as I get it back. That will all change now that I will be quilting my own quilts.

Diane-crewe said...

SO glad your husband DID stop so that you could get the photo of the sunset x Beautiful x

dq said...

Holy cow! Cute little guy dropped in the yard!
Fantastic - huge stack of quilts needing bindings. Wower. You have been busy.

Raewyn said...

Fabulous to see your farm photos - such a stark contrast to when I visited. Love your fatty-bom-bom beefies and seeing your dams so full.