Wednesday 15 December 2010

goanna's...........

The kids went for a walk the other day...............Fairy girl arrived back "quick Mum get the camera".........she had left Bookworm over the paddock to keep an eye on the excitement................2 goanna's.............by the time we got back which wasn't very long there were 3 goanna's.......
Goanna's cover quite a few but these are Lace Monitors scientic name Varanus varius
we are assuming the one up in the tree is a girl and the others were boys coming to mate although she was in a tree beside the one the boys are on...........
mating season is spring early summer.................perfect time...........

.......they spotted this one up in a tree to start with.............goodness knows how - they have eagle eyes I say..............much smaller the the other 2............
another angle...........
Bookworm was wandering around the tree to look at the girl and then found this one on the side of the tree............this is when Fairy Girl was sent home to get Mum and camera..........
this guys tail goes another approx 15cm out of the photo.......these guys are long and huge.........there tails are as long as their main body...........they grow between 1.5- 2 metres and I think these were 2 metres ..............they were BIG............
when I got over the paddock there were 3 goanna's............while Bookworm was wandering around the tree looking at them another one came up behind him............he was still on the ground when I got there but quickly climbed up the tree this far and didn't move except to turn his head slightly side to side keeping an eye on me............the other one further up the side didn't move at all.............
I was captivated and I have quite a few photos to share.............
amazing patterns and colours.........
here they both are on the gum tree.........the one up the side on the left and the other at the bottom right of the tree............. the girl is up in another one...........

very strong animals
strong claws to climb and grip on trees..........
This is a once in a life time event...............I have only ever seen a goanna alone.....
...would be lucky to see 3 a year let alone 3 in one spot..........
Catch you later..............
Chookyblue

41 comments:

Katherine said...

Wow! How amazing to find 3 all at the same time! Great photos, Chookyblue. I'll be showing my sons these - they grew up watching Steve Irwin and will love to see these beauties.

gracie said...

My oh my....what a sight to see.

weidemama said...

so wilde Tiere, sie sind sehr schön!
Grüße von Wilma

dutchcomfort said...

Wowsers! That’s a real pre-historic animal!

manda said...

Oh Gosh!!! Did you know I would love this post?!?!? I LOVE monitors! I would love one of my own, but they're so expensive! Even the ackies are 350. aka Ridge Tail Monitors. A friend of mine has 5 of them! They are the most sweetest gorgeous things! I know people with the big lacies too! And the yellow tails and other types. Our local zoo has quite a few on display! They are wonderful creatures!!
One of my favourite magazines is Scales and Tails (as you know) and an article a few issues ago was about triplet lacies! As in, three babies from the same egg! They are all still alive and going strong! I can scan the article and email it if you'd like!
You and the kids are soooo lucky to have seen them in the wild like that! The one's I've seen in the wild won't stay still and keep wandering off when I'm trying to get a good shot! I'm quite jealous!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Even asked the DH who is a great white hunter from way back....he has not seen three together either...great photos Chooky...

Khris78 said...

Wow they are Huge !!!!!!
The bush really is amazing isnt it :)

Sue-Anne said...

Fantastic photos!!!! I have only ever seen one goanna at a time and I think you were very lucky to see three together. Love the photo of the one at the base of the tree, it is like he is saying "if I press really close to the tree and don't move, she wont be able to see me"

Unknown said...

OMG! They Are HUGE.....Great Pics.
cheers

Wendy said...

That is so amazing to see nature at its best. And to think you saw three! They are lovely animals. I love lizards of all kinds and have had iguanas in the past. These are just amazing. Thanks for sharing with us.

Kris Meares - Tag Along Teddies said...

Hey Donna! Great pics! And goannas make me think of Christmas ... weird association I know, but you see, my grandparents used to manage the Emerald pool and lived beside the pool and the whole pool block backed onto the golf course ... where there was obviously a nest or two of goannas, cos every Christmas, we would have at least one or two come into the yard and stir up the dogs. Love it when they get on their hind legs and RUN ... like a cartoon! :0) Thanks for sharing pics!! Bear Hugs! KRIS

Karen said...

Holy Crap, this is all my nightmares come true. Snakes I can just about cope with. But lizards etc. no way. Just about lost my toast and vegemite looking at your pics. How could you be brave enough to get so close.

Saska said...

Great pictures 'cause I would NOT of been standing there looking at them!

Linda said...

Wow! Those are amazing beautiful creatures...what luck to see 3!!

Leanne said...

Great photos. When we were in Hervey Bay one fell out of a tree near us Tony ran like a girl LOL.

Isabella said...

Thats truly amazing and what really good pics

Sandi said...

Those are HUGE goannas!
I like the patterns on their skin. We see goannas when we go camping in forestry and national parks. They like to wander around the campsites looking for bits of food. I am a bit wary of them.

Kris said...

Very cool photos! Yep, I have only ever seen one at a time. It's always such a surprise just how big they are when you come upon one in real life. The ones at the zoo don't seem as big! Perhaps that's more to do with the fence!

Sue said...

That is truly amazing to see 3 in one spot. I have only ever seen one goanna which was absolutely huge whilst we were on holiday in Mallacoota a few years ago. I cant believe how fast they can run either.

Levin said...

they are amazing! i love the patterns on them - and you saw so many!!
i've only seen them on the road - and not in a very nice state :(
l
x

Anonymous said...

great pictures, not sure I would call myself lucky to be standing there,grin
Christine

Joy said...

Those piccies are amazing .... now if that was me, I'd need a VERY big zoom lens. I'm just sayin'.
Hugs,
Joy :o)

Kate said...

Great photos; they are fantastic looking animals, though Im not sure Id want to stumble across one.

Tudy said...

Interesting but yucky. I do not like any kind of crawling creature and that is a large size.

Cindy said...

What great photos! How lucky to see them in their natural habitat! I know this is weird but it makes me think of the movie "The Rescuers Down Under"...that's the first time I heard of goannas...lol My husband and son thank you for sharing the photos too.

Chocolate Cat said...

Wow! glad they were at your house not mine!!!

suzitee said...

Oh wow!!! They are massive! I am amazed that you saw 3 together...once in a lifetime, for sure :)

Daisy Jayne said...

the photos are great - what a experieance.

wordmama said...

Fantastic! My son was really impressed. What an amazing sighting. I'm so glad you shared your fabulous pics with us.

Sue said...

Wow! Great experience for you all. Terrific pics.

Thimbleanna said...

WOW!!! I loved this post Donna -- even showed it to hubby. How awesome for you and the kids. And even cooler that you had the camera and could get there -- thank you SO much for sharing with us!

Sharon said...

Wow! Very lucky to see three together. Great photos!

Anonymous said...

Goanna's have amazing body 'art' patterns BUT do be wary of them - they can be aggressive & will attack/eat your poultry or pets....has happened at our place!

Deb said...

I have not seen 3 together either but as you said it is mating season so that maybe the reason.

Maria said...

WOW what gorgeous photos of the Goannas. How lovely to have seen three together.

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

I had never heard of these creatures until this morning -- they are absolutely amazing! Thank you for sharing your pics!

Grethe said...

Oh,dear me,this is amazing pictures!
Think I would have been a wee bit scared as well as:-)

Nicky said...

Brilliant pics - though I think that is what would worry me about living in Oz - you have the scariest wildlife, all sorts of creepy crawlies and poisonous things too! And then there's the snakes and crocs.... makes me grateful to visit your beautiful country but not sure I could live there. I'm too much of a wimp.

Jindi's Cottage said...

Awesome...both your photos and seeing three together...how special...

KaHolly said...

WOW!

Vanessa said...

Amazing! And great photos too!